Sunday, December 9, 2012

Question on damage waiver for car rental?

Q. I have rented a car and unfortunately I found scratches (about 5 inch long) which I am not sure how it did. I haven't buy a damage waiver from the rental company as I thought that my insurance transfers to the rental car, yet I turn out to be wrong.

Now I would ask: could I get a damage waiver from the credit card company? My card is Mastercard and it is issued by a Hong Kong bank (I am a tourist).

And, most importantly, if I could not get a waiver, how much approximately I am liable to pay? Thank you very much.

A. your coverage on your Mastercard should prevail.

Let this be a lesson learned - always buy the physical damage waiver.

Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20 - the rental company will probably "tie up" some credit limits for actual repair and "down time" for the repair (loss of rental availability.)

Good luck and I hope this helps!


How much does it cost to own a car in Hong Kong?
Q. Including monthly parking, parking for when you go out, gas, maintenance, etc... Lets say I drive only on the weekend.

A. The Hong Kong government has always discouraged private car ownership so having one is not cheap. To start with all new cars come with a 80-100% import tariff, it could fluctuate each fiscal year. Then the annual vehicle registration fee varies between US400-1,400 depending on the capacity. Regular gas as of today averages around US$1.80 per liter = US$6.80 per gallon. Parking always cost extra even at home. When you buy an apartment, a parking space cost extra, so does renting one. Public parking in busy locations could be US$3,4,5 per hour. Considering you have to pay for parking 24/7 year round, it could cost you US$300-400 monthly easy.


Driving in CA without a CA Driving licence?
Q. I will be visiting California for 10 days during Easter, but i do not have an international licence neiter a CA Driving licence.
However, i do have a vaild driving licence from Hong Kong.

1) Will i be able to drive in California?
2) Will i be able to rent a car in California?

A. Yes to both questions. ":Kingsley" is correct.

As a visitor to California your Hong Kong drivers license will be honored as long as it is currently valid.

The same is true of renting a car as long as you are over 25 years of age, and have a valid credit card.


Does the hong kong 60 or 80gb PS3 play australian PS3, PS2 games and DVD's?
Q. Only people who know please. I'm living in Australia and I'm wondering is there any region code restrictions? I think that there shouldn't be because Hong Kong and Australia are in the Asia Pasific region. Also will there be any online restrictions? Please help me!

A. I bought mine from singapore and its the 60gb with playstation2 backward compatiable. You will be able to play the ps3 games fine as there is no region lock but the blu-ray movies are regioned into 3 lots A B C but I found that in perth were I live the video shop rents blu-ray movies and most are playable on A B C (no region). But also the ps2 games are also region locked so no luck there. Just keep your old machine as you will not play them as often as you think,remember ps1 games! put that in your ps2 and look at the graphics if you dont remember.....





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment